App lockup

Lemming

App lockup

Postby Lemming » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:44 am

Had this few times before, and thought it had been addressed.. In a drawing with multiple objects selected, and nudging with the arrow keys, the program becomes unresponsive if move too far..As currently broken, I had realized the movement had lagged behind the arrow key strokes, so mashed the opposite direction .. not sure if this makes the issue present ? App completely Borked, and will have to kill off the process to get running again..

Any way to avoid this ?

admin
Site Admin

Re: App lockup

Postby admin » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:36 am

I'm trying to replicate the bug you are describing but I'm not able to make it crash.
Is is any particular object that is selected? Is it a circuit diagram or layout page?

I have experienced randomly unexplained crashes when shutting down Elwin. It just hangs and does not shutdown until I manually kill the Elwin process. This crash happenned several times in v1.2.10 (never before). No data is lost when it happens, just annoying. I think it's related to the operating system and my old Elwin compiler. Maybe related to what you experiencing?

Lemming

Postby Lemming » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:21 pm

Sorry, missed reply.. Would be good if an e-mail was sent to advise a new post ? Was a while ago and think was a circuit drawing ? was moving a bunch of bits to the left. Have had issues previously, but more to do with the layout drawings. Hasn't occurred since.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:20 am

To receive update emails you'll need to subscribe to each forum (currently four).
There is a small "Subscribe forum" text in the bottom of each forum.

On the topic, I will write this topic on the watch out list but very hard to find the bugs when I'm not able replicate them.

Lemming

Postby Lemming » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:54 am

I broke it again, 4 parent PLC objects I was moving to center of the screen.. stopped as per the image.. Same deal, will have to kill the process to continue.. I do have a second instance of Elwin running if that makes any difference ?
Attachments
borked.PNG
borked.PNG (31.51 KiB) Viewed 8811 times

Lemming

Postby Lemming » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:57 am

Also noticed is doing something..
Attachments
Activity.PNG
Activity.PNG (17.86 KiB) Viewed 8811 times

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:05 am

Thanks for posting these clues to find the bug.
However, still no luck to replicate the bug.
Are you using multiple screens? Is Elwin running inside Virtualbox?

Lemming

Postby Lemming » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:52 pm

Yes, a couple of external monitors. Am using a laptop with internal display, + 1 on HDMI, and a 2nd on a display link usb adaptor. Is in the Win10 host machine, but did have a couple of VM's running.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:28 am

I remember now some time ago there was another User having some identical trouble.
He was also using a monitor with such display USB adaptor.
I think the this device is causing the problem. Is it possible to use Elwin without that adaptor and see if that is the root cause?

Lemming

Postby Lemming » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:49 am

Can do, though given has only happened a hand full of times could be a while till can confirm..

On another issue, just tried opening a project from last week and found it blank.. Found the .ewd00 file missing from the project. Went to restore from an archive, and the last 2 (which i assume recent ??) also corrupt. had to go back 3 which is missing a reasonable amount of work. This again has occurred before, and shouldn't really be allowed to happen.. Any clue as to why and how to prevent. cant recall any PC related issues which may have provoked. I was using a dummy project to copy pages to, modify and copy back. I have mentioned before when opening a second instance of Elwin, it will open the same project. Then when you save as, will save and archive.. Not sure what happens with 2 instances open.. Can you make an option to allow Elwin always to start with out a project loaded ? would prevent dual instances..

Return to “General questions”