Old project hangs while updating

LTI Service

Old project hangs while updating

Postby LTI Service » Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:58 am

i have a complete project, make with the old 1.x version of the software. Each time a new version of the software appeared, i updated the project as well without issues.
After doing the same with the latest version, update fails and i have to force close the software using task manager. Below are the various stages of the conversion:
after adjusting database.png
after adjusting database.png (12.4 KiB) Viewed 203 times

beginning_update.png
beginning_update.png (12.17 KiB) Viewed 203 times

conversion hanged.png
conversion hanged.png (6.17 KiB) Viewed 203 times

the point i cannot understand regards the second database, that is the standard one and is unmodified. I would like to remove it, but at this stage in conversion i cannot.
Do you have any suggestions on how to fix this problem?
Thanks

admin
Site Admin

Re: Old project hangs while updating

Postby admin » Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:57 am

Hello,

Elwin is very sensitive when it comes to the databases. It's very important when you open the project in version 2 that the project continues to use the exact same database as when you opened in version 1. Your project is using direct paths to databases which makes it trickier but it should anyway work. I'm not exactly sure what is going on in your case, but I would recommend to do the following:

1. Copy (in windows explorer) your version 1 project to a new folder (this will make sure you will not mess up the original files).
2. Open Elwin version 2
3. Open each database for conversion to version 2 (elwin will automatically create backup files) without modifying their original path
4. When all databases are opened and converted, then open your project.
5. Now everything should work.

Finally, I recommend to copy the databases to c:\elwin\database
Change the path for each database in the project settings to c:\elwin\database\xxxxx.ewd
This will make it easier to locate your databases. If you are using Elwin in a network, then the path could be f:\elwin\database or similar.
Just keep the databases in the same folder for all projects.

Regarding the new dialog box "Adjust databases before opening of the project":
This dialog box is new for version 2 and prevents some project settings to be lost, if you try to open a project and its configured databases are missing or corrupted. This dialog box will give you a chance to find and adjust the database location before opening.
Yellow color means the database exists but it is not the same database as previously used in the project.
Red color means the database is missing or corrupt.
If you are not sure what you are doing then I don't recommend to click OK with yellow or red databases.

Hope this information will help you.

Return to “Project editing”