wire list problem

Anders

wire list problem

Postby Anders » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:52 am

I’m not able to generate a correct wire list. About 5% of my wires comes out a bit wrong.

Some wires don’t get any wire type attributes listed, even though the wire name symbol clearly knows the correct wire type.

Some wires get listed twice, or even three times. For example once correct and once correct without wire type.

Sometimes it is possible to correct the issue by renaming the source or destination terminals, but I would rather not.
Generally it is not helpful to delete and redraw.
Generally it is not helpful to rename the wire.
No errors or warnings in project verification.

Perhaps you have some hints or ideas?

admin
Site Admin

Re: wire list problem

Postby admin » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:45 am

It's hard to know the cause of your problems from your text message only.

To have correct wire list it's important all connection types are selected with care. The path of a wire in Elwin is always following the "legs" with 90 degrees turn. Selecting the 3-leg connection types randomly will cause bad wire lists. This might be the reason but I can not tell for sure until you post a sample picture of an example where the wire list are wrong.

Anders

Postby Anders » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:37 am

Yes of Corse

Here is one example (dual two direction motor starter) with three wires missing it’s wire type.

CD_1.jpg
CD_1.jpg (180.15 KiB) Viewed 6634 times

WL_1.jpg
WL_1.jpg (254.54 KiB) Viewed 6634 times

Anders

Postby Anders » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:15 am

CD_2.jpg
CD_2.jpg (99.14 KiB) Viewed 6632 times

This part is good except wire 0137 is missing its wire type in wire list…

WL_2.jpg
WL_2.jpg (143.67 KiB) Viewed 6632 times

Then there are also some problem with double representation of wires 0140 and 0141.

Anders

Postby Anders » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:11 pm

Further to my first example…

ABC.jpg
ABC.jpg (69.21 KiB) Viewed 6625 times

Here all wires appears to be listed as expected apart from 05 where wire type in wire list are left blank.
This is as it should be?

On another matter, is it possible to assert control over what end of each wire will be considered as source or target?
Ideally I think it would be nice to list a set of connected wires as one might want to connect them…
01 -K2:14 -K1:14
02 -K1:14 -K3:13
03 -K3:13 -K4:14

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:45 am

Your last picture with example A, B and C clearly shows the problem with the Elwin connection types.
When Elwin is evaluating the project to make the wire list, it only checks the connections starting from a device. When making a wire jumper like you have done in example B then this wire go missing as it does not start in a device.
It can be avoided in the way you have done in example C, but unfortunately it does not look very "nice" in the drawing.

You can not directly force the source and target. Your way of placing the symbols will affect the source and target.
Source will always be:
1) Page number order
2) The device left in the diagram if drawn as same page (source/target = left/right)
3) If drawn in same left/right, then the device higher in the diagram (source/target = top/bottom)

I know in same cases it would be good to be able to force source/target, but currently there is not that function.

Anders

Postby Anders » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:16 pm

Hello Again,

Good news. After some time fiddling about with this, my problems with the wire lists seem to have lessened or disappeared. Sometimes there are some little problem, but it seems to sort itself out in the end.

About Source/Target of wires, unfortunate but I guess I can live with this. In any case it would be tiresome to manually identify and then manually force-flip many wires. It would be nicer if for example the list generating loop listed each wires source or target as “source”, if the wire has one of its ends connected to the same connection as the previously listed wires “target”. :? …Or something, but never mind.

The reason I’m posting are that I have identified one, not bug but piece of (possibly) unexpected behaviour. (This was the source of some of my more mysterious wire list problems)
This is it:
1.You have a complete project with nice wire lists and all is good.
2. Do something special, for example change the page header of your BOM. All is still good for now, but…
3. The problem occurs If/when you now or sometimes later “Generate all lists”.
The wire list will now only show wire type of the wires visible on pages that you have looked at since you changed PH of BOM. That is, you must “visit” each page of the circuit diagram before you again can generate a complete wire list.

BR and Happy Easter

Return to “Project editing”